WE HAVE MOVED!

This website has moved to www.worldofcrap.co.uk. Please update your links. And then go there, because it's really really good, and there's cake there and everything.

Sunday 10 November 2013

The Video Collection - the most 80s thing you'll see this morning

Found this two and a half minutes of life wastage on Youtube -



It's a promo for UK based media company Video Collection International's home VHS line, imaginatively titled 'The Video Collection' -



There was something about the red and black on that stark grey background that unnerved me as a child, not to mention the weird music that sounds like it's being played backwards a bit.

Now then. "Hollywood's greatest stars in their finest films" contains precisely three films that I have ever heard of. This might be because I'm not a film buff, or it might be because VCI just bought whichever films were cheap at the time. To this end, we have all the great movies from 'the good ole days', when everyone used to walk round wearing hats, and when saying 'damn' was shocking.

One trailer promises "Cary Grant at his most passionate". I'm sorry, but this claim is given less weight by the accompanying clip -



Cary Grant was a fine actor and all, but I wouldn't describe him as 'at his most passionate'. I'd describe him as having that face you pull when you've just done a big shop in Tesco, and you get home only to realise you forgot to buy any butter.

They do advertise some classics, like High Noon and It's A Wonderful Life, and then at the end of the movie section they tout what is obviously the one modern-ish film they could afford - a three part feature length miniseries from 1984 called The Glory Boys. I have never seen this so I'm not qualified to pass comment, but I did see the following review on Rotten Tomatoes -

"Neither the film's techniques and pacing nor its fashions have aged well in the decades since its first airing."

Fair enough.

Next we move on to cartoons! VCI kind of comes into its own here, as they have greats such as Yogi Bear, He Man and Mr T!



Although in this but Mr T looks like he's either laughing at you for agreeing to watch this promo, or he's just smelled some milk that's a bit off.

I know all this rambling sounds like I hate this promo, but actually I think it's the greatest thing ever, which is why I've already watched it five times this morning and you haven't.

No comments:

Post a Comment